Indiana Flag

Indiana Flag

Thursday, June 9, 2011

20 Random Thoughts

When I was a teenager we used to play a game, similar to Truth or Dare, we called Random Thoughts.  Someone in the group would call out a topic and everyone would have to share the first thing that popped into their head about that topic.  It made for some lively conversations and more than just a few arguments.

I was remembering this awhile back and created a note on my facebook where I put a few random thoughts about me.  I decided to update that list and post it here.

If you have any random thoughts you'd like to share or if you have other topics you want to discuss I'd love to hear them.  Share in the comments, share @fredcannon on twitter, or you can friend me at http://www.facebook.com/fcannon and we can talk at length.

Anyway here are my 20 random thoughts: 


I lived in Alaska once for about a year. Wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

I read Tolkien's Trilogy "Lord of the Rings" for the first time when I was a freshman in high school, then waited 35 years for technology to advance to the point where they could properly make it into a movie.

If I could be anywhere right now it would be on a remote lake somewhere in Canada either fishing or sitting around a campfire enjoying a beverage with a group of buddies.

The haunting sound of a Loon's cry stirs something deep in my soul.

I love to go on canoe trips, but a bad knee makes it too painful to sit in a canoe for any length of time nowadays.

I'm a man dammit, and I'm not to supposed to cry, but sometimes when I'm by myself and I've been hurt, I do.

I love Indiana and I no longer have any desire to live anywhere else.  There's still plenty of places I want to visit, but I will always call Indiana home.


My mother told me once, that as a baby the only baby food I would eat without spitting  back out at her was banana baby food.  As a result she fed me a LOT of banana baby food.

I can't watch the shows on Animal Planet that deal with cruelty to animals.  I rage against the people who do those terrible things to animals and it makes me want to do horrible things to them in return.

I think my favorite thing in the world is fireworks.  I think they're gloriously beautiful and breathtaking.

I'm 57 and still plan on learning how to play the guitar before I die.

My favorite homemade meal is meatloaf, mashed potatoes and fresh or frozen peas, dining out I usually order seafood. Favorite appetizer is calamari or smoked salmon and my favorite desserts are my homemade pineapple pecan upsidedown cake and if I order dessert when I'm  out, it's usually creme brulee.

My favorite color is red.  When I was younger I wanted my favorite color to be blue because that was my grandfather's favorite color, but it's definitely red.

I love wood.  I love the feel, the look and the smell of wood.  If I were ever to become an artist, wood would be my medium.

Heineken has always been my beer of choice but nowadays if an establishment has Amber Bock or Leinenkugel, I'll order it instead.

Over a space of about 5 years, I lost my 3 closest friends and my fiancee.  Deep, deep inside of me something has been broken or lost and I don't know how to repair or replace it.

I love the smell of woodsmoke. In the fall, if I smell leaves burning and I close my eyes, I am momentarily transported back to my youth.


 I've been told I have a dry and wicked sense of humor.  One of my friends says it's "British" and another one likens it to David Letterman's sense of humor.

I love to sit out on my porch during a thunderstorm, or at dawn with a cup of coffee and watch the sunrise. I want to build a covered patio or deck in the backyard for the same purposes.

 My favorite candy is black licorice.  It was also my grandfather's favorite and it's the first candy I can remember eating.

My biggest fear is that the crippling National Debt and the disconnect between Washington DC and the rest of the country will fracture the United States. Hairline cracks are already beginning to appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment